Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Mixed Media Canvas - My married parents

Happy New Year Scrappers!

I thought it's time to create a new mixed media canvas. I haven't used any pictures of my parents and this time I wanted to use a very special photo of them. Isn't this vintage? I got some happy news: I booked a scrap-event with Finnabair in February!!! I'm a huge fan of her work, as you can see, my project is very much inspired by her style. I'm so excited to have a weekend participating in her workshops. After watching some YouTube videos on how to create a mixed media canvas, I gave it another try and this is the finished project: 


I used a lot of different techniques, but mainly: masking, misting and rubbing on some Inka Gold in different colors. 
These are the main steps I used to create the canvas:
1. Here and there I glued down some torn up paper pieces from an old book and covered them lightly with gesso. 
2. After letting it dry, I used two different masks with molding paste.
3. Then I figured out, which elements and which title I wanted to have on my project and glued them down. I used a lot of different items: wood veneers (gears), metal embellishments (i.e. keys, spoons, screws, keyholes...), prima flowers, lace trim and buttons. The small letters are from Maya Road, the larger ones made of grunge board from the Tim Holtz Collection. 
4. Again I let everything dry and covered it with another layer of gesso. 
5. After it dried, I sprayed everything with different matching shades of glimmer and metallic mists. Before I started misting, I covered the photo with a piece of plastic sheet. 
6. Then I rubbed on some Inka Gold with my fingers on every item, to give it a metallic finish. I used the colors: copper, hematite and metallic pink. 
7. Last but not least, I applied some accents with liquid pearls on certain spots.



These butterflies are plain chipboard, which I covered with embossing powder, heated it and then pushed into a stamp while the powder was still quite hot. 





Thanks for reading and a happy 2014! 

No comments:

Post a Comment